Thursday, March 03, 2005

Food for thought.

I haven't posted for a while simply because my life has been reasonably uneventful. My weekend was as per usual spiraling out of control and I have been licking my wounds for the first part of the week.

My health, however seems to be improving, particulary my asthma, which is notably better since I have knocked the ciggies and dairy products on the head. It's only been a week or so for the dairy and since the weekend for the tabs but I feel a hell of a lot better. It's quite a relief. I've actually run out of my asthma medication, and am going to see how long I can go without sucking on the blue inhaler.

This morning I had a revelation. I popped into a vegan café this morning to pick up a soy latte and was taken by the food on offer. It looked divine. I ordered my coffee and looked around. The colour, texture and smell of everything was good. I then looked at all the people in the shop. They all looked radiant and really healthy and relaxed. As much as am loathe to admit it, there was a vibe in the shop. It felt good. I didn't buy anything as I had just bought a bunch of grapes for my brekky and I left the shop.

I felt something had shifted slightly in my perception. I actually started considering what life might be like not eating meat. Now this is a big concept for me. I love meat. It's such a base animal instinct for me, and I've embraced this ethos for such a long time. But surely this can't be good for me in the long run. I know it can't. But it's like a bastion of manhood. Eating lots of meat. Denis Leary comes to mind as I write this. A few friends I know don't eat meat and they seem to be quite healthy and have good disposition. It's getting me thinking. Don't worry people, I'm not going to turn into some crystal wearing, patchouli dipped, hemp wearing, tree hugging vegan overnight. However, I'm going back to that café and getting some lunch, and I don't think I'm going to buy any meat for my dinner tonight. I've also just realised that at home I have a book that I bought in Portobello market, which has been sitting on my dresser unopened for months. It's called The enchanted broccoli forest, and it's by this lady. I might just open that book tonight and turn over a new leaf.